Leon

Default Info on latex paint

"David" wrote in message
news:UKKMc.25929$eM2.19352@attbi_s51...
Could you be more specific as to why? I could see someone arguing as to

the
performance of an oil based paint, but how could the cleanup be
easier/better for oil-based paint? Even if you dont mind the smell of

paint
thinner, there is still the fact that you cant pour the excess paint or
dirty thinner down the drain without breaking laws in just about every
state. (Not to mention polluting).

Why do you prefer the oil-based cleanup?

In the beginning, I hated the thought of dealing with oil based paints until
I painted a couple of houses.
To address the waste, I live in Houston TX, we have centers to deposit the
waste thinner at no charge. With that in mind, having helped a friend paint
house interiors for the last 7 years, I have found that cleaning a brush
regularly during the day, "at least at lunch time and the end of the day",
dropping the brush in 2 separate cans of thinner and then rinsing the brush
in soap and water takes about 3 minutes for a totally clean brush. We can
make a gallon of thinner last a week when painting every day. When using
brushes to cut in the walls with latex paint, the clean up normally takes 3
time longer with soap and water. The thinner on oil based paints takes the
work out of clean up. Additionally, when actually painting and you have the
inevitable spatter or drip on the floor, oil based wipes up immediately with
a thinner soaked rag as opposed to latex smearing around with a wet rag.
I'll take a small oil based cleanup on carpet any day over the same clean up
with latex paint.