Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default A sign that the dishwasher is malfunctioning and should be replaced?

On 01/30/2014 03:56 PM, wrote:
es, so I posted in the hopes of getting more informed opinions that could help us with our decision, but now unfortunately all this dissin' on his hat will undermine your credibility with him because he really happens to love that Tilley hat. (And Oren- the hat my daughter is wearing in those photos is actually from the new span of the SF Bay Bridge- a massive project that was just completed this past September. A friend of ours was very involved with this, and gave us a whole bunch of schwag from it.)

O.K., now back to the dishwasher: it seems the consensus (although not completely unanimous) is that it actually should be replaced. As far as how it looks, yes I'll admit that it doesn't look so great, but I should say that I really don't care how it looks, because as I said all that is not visible when the dishwasher door is closed, which it usually is. So just for the sake of
appearance, I'm not terribly motivated to do anything about it. So unless it signals a real problem that is more than just appearance, I'm reluctant to replace it because (a) it does clean the dishes very well, as I've said, and (b) 11 years doesn't really seem like all that long to me, for the dishwasher to already be failing (but that opinion may just be more of my ignorance
of these matters...) and (c) a new dishwasher is a rather significant expense (which as everyone has now seen, I'd much rather spend on things like fun vacations). But if it is necessary and not just a cosmetic problem, then I guess I may have no choice... Well thanks again, all.

If it works and you do not plan to replace it,,,at least,,get the leak
fixed and clean up the "gunk".