Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default OT; I feel slightly guilty.....

On 29/01/2014 15:50, bert wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I often work for people of a certain ethnic origin, who always, always,
always haggle about the final bill. It's a deep rooted cultural thing.

Even though you have quoted a price for a job in advance, they will
always, always, always try to get a few quid knocked off when it comes
to payment time.

So I've adopted the tactic of adding £10 or £20 to the estimate, knowing
full well they always, always, always haggle.

I did that today - and they just paid up, no haggling!

I feel slightly guilty now......

You could say the job turned out to take far longer/parts cost more than
you estimated when asking for payment. But then say as a goodwill gesture
you'll stick to the quote. ;-)

Wouldn't cut any ice with me - you're problem if you got the estimate
wrong.

If its an estimate you may have to pay.
If its a quote its different.