Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default A sign that the dishwasher is malfunctioning and should be replaced?

Daring Dufas: Hypocrite TeaBillie on welfare wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2014 12:54:30 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi. This is regarding my 11 year old Whirlpool dishwasher. Please see these photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42245531@N05/11813322735/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42245531@N05/11813333655/

So the question is, does whatever this is imply that the dishwasher has some critical problem? It does a great job cleaning the dishes- there is no issue with that aspect of it at all. But my husband is thinking that this may indicate that it is leaking, somehow (although we're not finding any water on the kitchen floor coinciding with its operation... but he's afraid that it may be seeping in areas that we can't see from the outside, and doing all sorts of scary internal damage to the house). So if anyone could possibly shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated- thanks.

You obviously don't clean your appliances and now they are rotting away from harsh detergent and steam released from the washer. It is must as matter of time before it starts leaking.

Hmmm,
That rust is a sign of leak, most likely from the gasket seal lining.
Not much but enough to cause rust. I am replacing our DW today. It
still works but preemptive strike B4 it quits together. Right now
it is washing it's last load. As soon as it finishes, I am pulling it
out. Thanks GE washer for 20 years good service. Here comes Bosch I
hope you will do as good as GE you are replacing.