Andy Hall

Default House purchase & existing damp proof course

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:11:25 GMT, "Tony" wrote:

Hello all,

Could anyone offer the advice on the following,
I'll keep it as brief as possible!

I'm in the process of a house purchase.
Survey recommends a damp-proof course.
Independant company (registered with Federation of Master Builders) comes in
to quote and says that 2 walls require damp-proofing.

A few days later my solicitors send me the vendors completed "Sellers
property information form" & "Fixtures, Fittings & Contents form".

Attached to these is a photocopied 30-year guarantee (from 1982) for a
complete damp-proof course (by another company - also registered with Fed.
Master Builders).
By my poor maths standards, this leaves about 9 years still to run on this
guarantee before it expires.

Should this company honour this guarantee or I am in for some "grief"?!!

Any advise welcome before I give my solicitors a quick call!,

Cheers in advance,

Tony.

Did you have a full survey done or just a basic one for mortgage
purposes?

It is very common, that when a cursory survey is done for a comment to
go in the report that a DPC is needed whether one is or not, simply to
cover the surveyor.

It can easily be that there is nothing wrong or that something stupid
has been done such as bridging the DPC by the ground being raised.

The first thing is to check the guarantee and see if it is
transferable (should be) and that the company is still in business.
If they aren't then check to see whether there is any additional
backing. That will give you an idea on what the options are on
that side. Then you can either go via your solicitor, the agent or
directly to the vendor to raise the issue.

Assuming the company still exists, then the vendor should call them
in. Of course the likelihood is that the company, if it exists will
say that there is no problem.
Then you have the option, if you had a full survey, to provide the
report to the vendor.

A lot depends on the commercial situation. If you have the high
negotiating position you can push the whole thing to the vendor under
threat of walking away. Otherwise, you need to assess the risk of
taking on the issue with any problems that might or might not exist.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl