Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
robobass robobass is offline

Default softening the startup load on my table saw?

Thanks for more suggestions. Yes, I'm in Germany where your standard box has 16 amp breakers and 230v, line and neutral. Many newer houses and buildings also have 1 phase 400v, which is mainly used for instantaneous water heaters (which I hate!). There may be three phase some places, but I've never seen it.

As for my problem, I'm surprised I'm not having more trouble than I am. I don't think I've ever blown the breaker when starting the table saw if the heaters are off, and it usually doesn't happen if only one heater is off. That means I'm pulling like 5.3KW!

Interesting the idea of running a long extension cord. I always thought that the opposite was true - that more copper, not less, is easier on the breaker. At any rate, I think I'm sort of doing that already. The wires are pretty thin - the space having been a garage before, where only lighting was expected. When I was running almost everything from one receptacle, and I noticed that the wire to it was getting warm. Now that I've spread things out that's no longer evident.

I think that I can get the guys to agree to let me do the runs for new circuits as long as I hire an electrician to connect everything up. That is what I'll do. In the mean time I just have to be diligent about shutting off the heaters when using the saw. I don't use it all that much anyway!