Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anybody here into tube amps?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 08:32:25 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 13:18:36 -0800, the renowned
wrote:

Greetings Tubulars,
So I have this crazy idea to build a little tube amp just for fun. The
transformers are quite expensive though. I will be looking for old
ones probably because I can't justify spending loads on new ones. So
considering my almost 60 years old ears, 39 of which have been spent
in noisy environments, and my propensity to listen to loud music, what
should I look for that will sound just a little better than I can
hear? Maybe not an audio xmfr will be OK. There are some old tube amps
in a couple local thrift stores. How can I tell if they had good
xmfrs? Or can I?
Eric

If you ever run across something from McIntosh, in almost any
condition, that would be a good bet.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

So I could either re-build the old McIntosh or just use the
transformers and any good tubes to build my own? Probably rebuilding
would be best, and I bet there are schematics available online.
Thanks,
Eric

---