Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default OT what have I done?

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In a momentary fit of insanity I allowed an offering of Explorer 8.0 (I
think) to download.

The only visible consequence is an overnight firing up of Explorer such
that I am greeted each morning with a Windows related advert.
Curiously the screen is prevented from entering sleep mode.

Today's offering was for a Windows driver scanner for a Brother printer.

I am using XP with service pack 3. I know this system is about to be
unsupported so am becoming very nervous about anything uninvited!

Any thoughts?

Did you download it from the real Microsoft website as sometimes down
loads for such aren't the real thing and come packages with other
"wares"...

Like Firefox that can come from other then the Mozzie foundation site..

Yes - beware of where you download Firefox from.

As my existing Firefox was not quite behaving as normal, I decided to do
a fresh install. The first site that Google brings up is:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/o7n6tro
BIG MISTAKE!
I was a bit suspicious when I was offered various additional 'extras' -
which I rejected. But despite rejecting the kind offers, I was left with
ZoneAlarm searchbar on all of my browsers, and ZoneAlarm as the home
page. I'm still busy getting rid of it. Why GoogŁe toŁŁerate these bogu$
website$ is $ureŁy my$tery (or i$ it?).
--
Ian