Michael Mcneil

Default House purchase & existing damp proof course

"Tony" wrote in message

Hello all,

Could anyone offer the advice on the following,
I'll keep it as brief as possible!

I'm in the process of a house purchase.
Survey recommends a damp-proof course.
Independant company (registered with Federation of Master Builders) comes in
to quote and says that 2 walls require damp-proofing.

A few days later my solicitors send me the vendors completed "Sellers
property information form" & "Fixtures, Fittings & Contents form".

Attached to these is a photocopied 30-year guarantee (from 1982) for a
complete damp-proof course (by another company - also registered with Fed.
Master Builders).
By my poor maths standards, this leaves about 9 years still to run on this
guarantee before it expires.

Should this company honour this guarantee or I am in for some "grief"?!!

First of all, ask the surveyor what he thinks. You can then write to the
various other parties concerned. The damp course may have failed, or it
may have been damaged by other parties. What sort of method was used?
If
it was electrolysis, the wires may have been cut or removed. Work on the
property since the damp course may have spoiled the protection too. If
the surveyor was not aware that this work had been done....

Well that's all moot. It sounds like a lot of technical stuff that a
lawyer would make a right meal of. You might ask the firm that did the
original job to send a rep out and tell him what the surveyor suggested
and ask if he thought it necessary.

When he sends a quote in for
umpteen hundreds of pounds tell him you just found that the work has
already been done by them and could he come back and see why it had
failed and where.

Damp course proofing or whatever it is called is a classic DIY jjob not
expensive and not highly technical. Do a search on this site for it.