Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default brand of sticky back zip tie mounting blocks?

N8N wrote:
On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 1:47:40 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
N8N wrote:

Anyone recommend one that actually works?

I ran some wires for surround sound in the basement (rented place) and

owner didn't want me taking down the paneling. So I used sticky backs,

but they've all failed and now the wires are dangling and looking all

ghetto. Problem is the sticky part is sticking to the paneling but not

the plastic of the sticky back itself! When they started coming down I

got some 3M double stick tape and wiped the surfaces with alcohol, that

also sticks to the paneling but the plastic block falls off of that too.

So I guess I need to find a different product and start over. What is

the "real stuff?" The ones that are falling down are probably G-B as I'm

assuming I got them at Lowe's.

thanks

nate

Have you checked out the 3M Command Strips display at any home center,

Walmart, Staples, etc?

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...ducts/Catalog/

They have all sorts of hooks and Velcro straps and even an assortment of

Cord Clips.

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...94529207&rt=r3

The adhesive is removable with a pull of a tab on the adhesive strip. Clean

the area as instructed and you should be good to go. I used little mini

hooks to hang Christmas light strings on my living room wall. Next year

I'll buy the replacement adhesive strips and re-use the hooks.

Now that I might try, didn't think of that. All depends on whether
they'll stick to the plastic of the existing (less than sticky) backs.

nate

In your OP you said you were willing to "start over". I don't know if I
would spend money on replacement Command strips only to find that they
don't work with the existing cable tie holders.

Under the second link above you'll see that 3m makes cord clips of various
sizes. Why not buy the correct size for your speaker wires and not try to
mix and match one company's adhesive with another company's mounts?

If you are set on reusing your mounts, then you might want to look at the
picture hanger strips instead. They are basically adhesive backed hook and
loop strips, with one part designated for the wall and the other part
designated for whatever you are hanging. I have hung framed posters with
them and never had either the wall side or frame side let go.

They are great for dorm rooms and apartments since they don't damage the
paint - as long as you remove them properly by pulling the tab in a
straight line along the same plane as the mounting surface (e.g. a wall)
and don't pull the tab _away_ from the wall. You need to stretch the
adhesive strip to get the adhesive to let go cleanly.