Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Etymological question -- "waller" a hole

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Tim Wescott fired this volley in
:

Has anyone else seen this? I'm curious if it was a family invention
or if it's a word of real usage.

Actually, Tim, 'waller a hole' is a regional dialectic of "wallow a
hole".

And that comes from the noun 'wallow' which is shallow hole (usually
in which animals -typically pigs- like to bathe for fun or profit.

So, to "wallow a hole" means to just dig one out irregularly, as
would a pig trying to make a bathing hole.

LLoyd

Actually Lloyd , the term "waller a hole out" is in common usage both in
the northern Utahaha area where I grew up and in west Tennessee where we've
lived the last 30 years or so , also in the southern Ozarks where I now live
..
--
Snag