Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT; I feel slightly guilty.....

On 29/01/2014 15:50, bert wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I often work for people of a certain ethnic origin, who always, always,
always haggle about the final bill. It's a deep rooted cultural thing.

Even though you have quoted a price for a job in advance, they will
always, always, always try to get a few quid knocked off when it comes
to payment time.

So I've adopted the tactic of adding £10 or £20 to the estimate, knowing
full well they always, always, always haggle.

I did that today - and they just paid up, no haggling!

I feel slightly guilty now......

You could say the job turned out to take far longer/parts cost more than
you estimated when asking for payment. But then say as a goodwill gesture
you'll stick to the quote. ;-)

Wouldn't cut any ice with me - you're problem if you got the estimate
wrong.

An estimate is just that - if you agree to proceed on an estimated
price, then you have to accept the final price may be higher or lower.
If however you asked for a quotation, then its indeed the suppliers
problem. (although expect the supplier the include extra contingency in
the quotation, and if the job turns out to be simpler than expected, you
ought not expect any reduction).

Its the difference between a "cost plus" and a "fixed price" contract.
Its important to understand which you have entered into.

--
Cheers,

John.