Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Plusnet Sam Plusnet is offline

Default OT; I feel slightly guilty.....

In article ,
says...

On 28/01/2014 21:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/01/2014 19:51, Nightjar wrote:
On 28/01/2014 18:52, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/01/2014 18:37, Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/01/2014 17:52, Nightjar wrote:
I often work for people of a certain ethnic origin, who always,
always,
always haggle about the final bill. It's a deep rooted cultural
thing.

Even though you have quoted a price for a job in advance, they will
always, always, always try to get a few quid knocked off when it
comes
to payment time.

So I've adopted the tactic of adding £10 or £20 to the estimate,
knowing
full well they always, always, always haggle.

I did that today - and they just paid up, no haggling!

I feel slightly guilty now......

You could have said that the job had taken less time than you had
estimated and knocked off the extra. It would have done wonders for
your
reputation and they might have said to keep the extra anyway.

Colin Bignell

+1

Nice idea, but how do you introduce that once you have already told them
the pre-haggle price...

You look a bit sheepish and say you feel a bit guilty charging the full
price, as it didn't take as long as you expected, then offer them a bit
back.

Thinking about it... It would be a chance to present them with a "get
10% off your next job" voucher as a thankyou...

Probably the best option. Vouchers really need to have an expiry date,
to prompt the recipient to come back to you within a reasonable time.
Perhaps a date stamp and words to the effect valid for X months from
date of issue. With any luck, they will have lost the voucher by the

Suppose the next job is ten times as big?

A 10% Off voucher might end up costing you a lot.

--
Sam