Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT what have I done?

On 29/01/2014 13:17, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Peter
Crosland writes
On 29/01/2014 09:16, Tim Lamb wrote:
In a momentary fit of insanity I allowed an offering of Explorer 8.0 (I
think) to download.

The only visible consequence is an overnight firing up of Explorer such
that I am greeted each morning with a Windows related advert.
Curiously the screen is prevented from entering sleep mode.

Today's offering was for a Windows driver scanner for a Brother printer.

I am using XP with service pack 3. I know this system is about to be
unsupported so am becoming very nervous about anything uninvited!

Any thoughts?

At the risk of stating the obvious it the time to move on from an
obsolete OS is long overdue. I had hung on to XP until a year ago when
I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 7. It soon became
apparent that the time to leave XP behind had come. Having installed
Windows 7 on my desktop I am well pleased with it.

Sadly my now rather dated mail/news reader doesn't work on 64 bytes.
There are workarounds but not something I am anxious to engage.

You can install Win 7 32 bit if you want... that retains the ability to
run 16 bit code. Failing that Win 7 Pro allows use of "compatibility
mode" (i.e. basically a XP install stuffed into a virtual PC), and that
will work on the 64 bit version.

--
Cheers,

John.