Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default softening the startup load on my table saw?

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 02:44:10 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

Thanks everyone for all the advice. To clarify, it's a 16 amp breaker, 230v. I haven't looked at it, but it's almost certainly not a special "motor rated breaker". I'll try that first, as that would be quick and cheap. I didn't realize until last night how big that motor was. In principal I have 3.8kw on the circuit, which I have been abusing, running about 3kw for heating and not always shutting that down before starting up the saw. The box is close by, and it would be easy enough to run another circuit or two to the shop, but the toilet guys are typical cautious Germans and won't let me do it myself. Paying an electrician to do it would naturally be expensive, but I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet at some point. For now I just have to be diligent about managing my current draw.

Ask if you could do the work yourself and then let the electrician
connect it all up for you. That'll save you a lot of money. Find an
electrician who'll do it for you, then check with the store owners.

You shouldn't have a saw and heater on the same line, anyway. It's no
wonder you're blowing breakers.

--
I have the consolation of having added nothing to my private fortune during
my public service, and of retiring with hands clean as they are empty.

Too bad -none- of the current CONgresscritters are willing to do that. -LJ