Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default OT what have I done?

On 29/01/2014 11:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, dunno, I've been using 8 for years, and yet its not supported by
Google and dropbox and others. Since you cannot get any newer version for XP
my advice is that after April 1st, simply make Firefox your default browser
which does work and carry on as before.
No not seen any adverts. You may well have missed an option to have or not
have adverts or another piece of software installed. I'm sure if you look
around you can disable such things, or run Malwarebytes to see if you have
any dodgy stuff on your machine. IE should not auto fire up. it should be a
choice, so some html is being launched at start up and regularly, which
sounds like maware to me. Look in msconfig.exe and see what is running at
start up, if it is not recognised by you, disable it temp wise and reboot
and make sure things work.
I had this once with AVG, which was one of the reasons I shunted it off my
system. There are avg safe search toolbars that can be set to do this as can
other toolbars. Kick them into touch, particularly the Google heap.
Brian

It is good idea to use the custom installation option, to then untick
boxes of unwelcome software istallations.