Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nemo Nemo is offline

Default OT what have I done?

On 29/01/2014 10:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Adrian
writes
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 09:16:34 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

In a momentary fit of insanity I allowed an offering of Explorer 8.0 (I
think) to download.

The only visible consequence is an overnight firing up of Explorer such
that I am greeted each morning with a Windows related advert.
Curiously the screen is prevented from entering sleep mode.

Today's offering was for a Windows driver scanner for a Brother printer.

I call malware. That certainly isn't normal IE8 behaviour.

IE8 should have long been upgraded by Windows Update. Where did this
"offering" come from...?

From a screen print....
http://static.myleadsolution.com/ag/...0B6AAEB855AB4B

It claims to be a Microsoft gold certified partner.

This is m2pub which is adware. Irritating but not malicious.
To get rid of it, browse here to download then install and run the free
version of Malwarebytes Antimalware software.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/