Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default softening the startup load on my table saw?

On 2014-01-29, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:47:51 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

robobass wrote:

I have a Sheppach table saw which constantly blows the fuse on startup. On
the motor it says 14.5 amps at 230 volts, which I interpret to be about 4
1/2 horsepower. I share my power with a bathroom fixtures supplier, and

[ ... ]

Jon

If it is 4HP there is a very STRONG chance it can be re-jumpered for
240 volts. I had the same problem with my compressor - 240 fixed it.

He is *already* running at 230 VAC which is just another way of
saying 240 VAC these days. Normal outlet voltage has been changing over
the years. I remember some equipment rated at 110 V, then 115 V, then
117 V, and now 120 V. 230/240 is simply double whichever voltage is the
current one.

Except that from the OPs other postings he is based in Germany and this
will be running off a single phase 230V supply not a US type centre
tapped style supply so the 110V to 120V changes have no bearing.

And 14.5 A is pretty high for an outlet-connected motor, and
would be certain to pop a 15A breaker. If the wiring is heavy-duty, he
may have 20A braker and outlets. But a motor rated breaker, with the
curve which allows longer/higher start-up currents while working at the
normal current for really long-term power drains..

Enjoy,
DoN.