Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; I feel slightly guilty.....

On 28/01/14 17:53, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 28 January 2014 17:49 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I often work for people of a certain ethnic origin, who always,
always,
always haggle about the final bill. It's a deep rooted cultural
thing.

Even though you have quoted a price for a job in advance, they will
always, always, always try to get a few quid knocked off when it comes
to payment time.

So I've adopted the tactic of adding £10 or £20 to the estimate,
knowing full well they always, always, always haggle.

I did that today - and they just paid up, no haggling!

I feel slightly guilty now......

It suggests that you are perhaps underquoting a little, normally. In
this case you have not conned anyone. Price quoted, job done, price
paid.

If a large proportion of your customer base are used to haggling, it is
arguably better to add a buffer, then allow then to feel that they've
"won" by getting £10-20 off. You're happy, they're happy, everyone wins.

Quoting the actual price you want and refusing to budge is clearly going
to alientate some of your customers, so that would be a wrong tactic.

We worked a variant of that on commercial situations, We bunged 15% on
top and gave them a '15% discount for payment in 30 days'

Worked bloody wonders on the cashflow.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.