Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default OT, More Global Warming Hits Alabamastan

Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

In article ,
CRNG wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 11:55:43 -0800, Oren wrote in

Gore and Microsoft founder Bill Gates both made the case that
overpopulation is one factor that is driving global warming."

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/01/28...-tool-combatin
g-climate-change

As much as I consider Gore a buffoon, he and Gates are right, IMO,
about global population growth being a major global problem. Take a
look at China and India. They are the major sources of global
population growth and pollution.

There is no way that they are going to cut back.

But they also don't need to be so poluting. That is a governmental
decision. If anything, they are in a better position to go greenish
because they don't have the infrastructure sunk costs we do.

With all due respect, I completely disagree. IMHO they are in a far *worse* position "to go
greenish" because neither of them can afford as well as we to make the up-front
investments necessary in controlling pollution. Cheap labor isn't the only reason that it costs
less to manufacture in China than in the US: we could produce cheaper, too, if we didn't
have to clean up after ourselves -- not saying we should, mind you, just saying that's
another component of the difference in cost of production.

China also has the additional disincentive "to go greenish" of having a political system that
is mostly unresponsive to the will of the people. The folks in charge there don't have to
worry about being voted out of office and replaced with leaders who will actually take care
of the environment. They need only prevent violent revolution to make their butts secure.