Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default softening the startup load on my table saw?

robobass wrote:

I have a Sheppach table saw which constantly blows the fuse on startup. On
the motor it says 14.5 amps at 230 volts, which I interpret to be about 4
1/2 horsepower. I share my power with a bathroom fixtures supplier, and
they have the keys to the fuse box. Daytimes it's no problem. They are
friendly enough about switching my power back on. But, if they aren't
there and the power goes off, then I'm stuck for the day. People have
suggested UPS's, but I don't see any fit for my application. Any way to
simply limit the current spike for this motor on startup?

If you can get a motor-rated breaker, that would be a big help.
Otherwise, get a 3-phase motor, if possible, and a VFD. The VFD
can be programmed for and rate of starting ramp-up you desire.
This will prevent it from drawing a big surge at start-up.

Jon