Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.food
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default OT Beef at the supermarket. butcher shop?

"dpb" wrote in message

On 1/28/2014 8:39 AM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

OT

Trying to confirm my recollection, that it used to be
that one could get any cut of beef he wanted at the
supermarket meat department.

Now it seems that some cuts are available some weeks,
and others not. Some are only sold for a few days a
month. But whatever day it is, not all are for sale,
like they used to be.

Is that correct?

Pretty much.

Used to be that butchers got whole sides of beef and
cut them. Now they get "cryopaks" - large packages of
various cuts - which they then slice up and package
(crummy side down). That's a big advantage to them
because they can buy just what is locally popular and
avoid the necessity of selling the rest. In reality, supermarkets no
longer have butchers. A
while back I was in a Publix market (Florida) looking
at the meat selection. It was sparse and poor. I was
particularly interested in flat bone sirloin and asked
the meat guy if he could cut one for me. He said they
no longer got bone-in meat and if they did there was no
one who would know how to cut it.

There are two major reasons for the change, the first
being that there really are very few relatively any more
that know the difference to begin with

Bingo. The same is true about many other things.
________________

The answer is, of course, to find the local meat shop
that does what you want if it is important to you.

Unfortunately, there is none. Not within reasonable distance at least. We
have supermarkets and independents who sell "Heavy Western Beef", whatever
that may be.
_________________

Of course, the producers say the reduced fat is in
response to consumer demand. Strange, I don't recall
the anti-fat riots; perhaps I was living abroad then.

Must have had head in sand for last 40 yrs on the
campaigns waged by Surgeon General and CDC, Am Heart
Assoc, etc., etc., etc., on the "dangers" of red meat and
high cholesterol and on and on and on, then...

I quit paying attention to them when someone decided that Scotch whisky
contrubuted to cancer

And I don't doubt that too much fat/red meat isn't good for you. A serving
need not be 16 oz.

It most definitely is consumer demand driven by mostly
imo, fearmongering.

As you said...

--

dadiOH