Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Beef at the supermarket. butcher shop?

philo wrote:
On 01/28/2014 08:39 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"X
The same goes for pork. Hogs are slaughtered very young now because
agribusiness determined that was the most profitable way. Good for
them, bad for us because the animals don't have time to develop some
fat and the fat - especially with pork - is where the taste is. Our
Xmas ham had virtually zero fat and a rind that was as thin as the
skin on my arm; it was edible but was a far cry from the wonderful
hams of my youth. Of course, the producers say the reduced fat is in
response to
consumer demand. Strange, I don't recall the anti-fat riots;
perhaps I was living abroad then.

Chicken? Forget it, The normal chickens available at supermarkets
aren't even close in taste to what a chicken should be. They are
even the wrong color. And you used to be able to go to a market and
get broilers, fryers, roasters, even stewing chickens. Capons too
(fresh, not frozen).

Of course you still can get the good stuff,
but just not at a regular grocery store...
and of course it costs more...but is worth it.

We buy 90% of our meat from a local market that does have a butcher on
duty at all times . They also sell meat that isn't injected with "solution"
.. Yes , it costs a little more maybe 5-6% but is worth it to us - mainly
because their meat is also grown without chemical additives in the feed .
Have you noticed the last few years that children are reaching puberty
younger ? We believe that to be due to the hormones fed to the anumals ,
which is also one of the reasons we'll be raising chickens ourselves next
summer .
--
Snag