Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default thread lead-in/ measuring chamfer

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

I mean to cut a chamfer, where the size matters, say for a 45 degree
compression fitting.

I had to make a few of these, and in theory the distance from the OD
or
the end of the rod to where the cut starts is the same for 45
degrees.

The parts I made will work fine, but I noticed there's not a really
good
way to measure them just to be sure. There's nothing for calipers to
catch
on so it's an issue of make the cuts and just hope it's right.

I use one of these, bought used for much less, to measure features
where calipers have nothing to catch on:
http://www.2spi.com/catalog/magnifiers/mag8.php

The smallest division is 0.0025" which is fine for my home projects.

Interesting tool there, I'll have to pick one up.

You could make a gauge from a solid rod and a sleeve that fits over
it, hobby brass tubing works well, and calculate the distance the
sleeve should slide over the rod onto the chamfer, at the sleeve's
inner diameter.

For example if the flat on the end of the chamfer is 0.3" in diameter
and the ID of the tube is 0.5" it should slide in 0.1".

If you clamp the sleeve and rod together and machine their ends flush
(actual length doesn't matter) you can measure the offset directly
with the step on a caliper.
jsw

good idea. As much as folks complain about off topic stuff, there's lots
of good answers around here.