Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default OT need step by step on this alternator/pulley/belt replacement

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 08:10:15 -0700, Lab Lover wrote:

...snip .... to keep Aioe happy

When are you going to do this deed?

Sunday I spent two hours just removing the pulley to replace with, you
guessed it, one completely different! sigh.

Since alternator is shot, didn't even bother to replace the 'fan' section
[have a stack of left over parts], just bolted back together capturing the
belt which by now is very disdended [even small sections thinned by wear -
shudder.]

After that experience, and having all my auto tools in storage with NO
access, so won't buy more, don't feel real confident to take on the task.
Tested the pulley and belt combination with short drive. This is te first
time ever the belt stayed on for that long a time. AND didn't flip over!
kept its V-notch toward the inside! So armed with confidence I can drive
to the nearby garage that I've been talking with, will let the pro do it.
....I couldn't even find where/how to remove the other THREE belts to even
get at that bottom belt!

I guess I've verified the adage relating the ability to drive nails or be
an automechanic. I can drive a nail very well, three hits and its in, so I
guess I'm a rotten mechanic. As verified by the two hours JUST to replace
a pulley!

Are you at Rule in Boston? just to taunt you, it's 71 here.

Thanks again for the URL with pics. That gave me the confidence to go
replace the pulley to make it to the garage. Oddly, downtown Phoenix has a
myriad of 'mobile' mechanics, but rural has none. Seems backwards.