Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Motion switch - incandescent vs. CFL

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 05:16:05 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

IGot2P wrote:
I just installed a motion detection switch in one room which is lighted
by 4 CFL's in a fan. The CFL,s come on fine but when the motion switch
shuts them off they just flicker. Of course if I put 4 incandescent bulbs
in the unit all is fine. For the heck of it I put in 3 CFL's and 1
incandescent bulb and to my surprise they ALL work!

Is there any reason that I can't leave it as above (3 CFL's & 1
incandescent)? In this manner I can save some electricity and still have
my motion switch work.

If necessary can I purchase CFL's that will work with my motion switch or
can I purchase a different motion switch that will work with my current CFL's?

Comments would be appreciated.

Don

You would think new switches would work on the new agenda. Relays work well
with cfls. Mechanical relay.

Greg

They only work with a neutral because you need to get current flowing
through the coil to turn on the light. Not enough current through a
cold CFL to reliably turn on the relay.