Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default spray-can cap conundrum

On 1/26/2014 9:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
"Tdacon" wrote in
:

Any of you old-timers in the same fix I'm in? I was trying to wrench
the glass-slick cap off a spray can of Minwax urethane finish last
night, and these old hands have lost so much grip strength since I was
young that I couldn't get the dang thing off no matter how I tried. I
was eventually reduced to jamming a long screwdriver right through the
cap and levering the wreckage off of the can. When I was done I looked
down at the mess I'd made of it and just shook my head.

Your basic old Krylon cap is a bit easier, but not much. Often I end
up slipping a flat-bladed screwdriver tip under one edge and levering
it off, trying not to break it in the process.

Anybody have any good ideas for me?

Thanks,
Tom

There's one cap that looks like it's supposed to be squeezed one way, but
it has to be squeezed gripping another. If you apply pressure at just
the right point, it pops off easily.

Generally, caps don't get reinstalled after they're removed. If you'd
like a color indication, spray some tape, let it dry and wrap it around
the can. Been leaving the caps off spray paint cans since I was a kid,
and never had a problem. (I know--how horrible! a 12 year old using spray
paint!)

Puckdropper

Try a pair of large plumbing pliers to squeeze the cap to get the off.

--
Jeff