Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running cable through an outside wall

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:03:40 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 13:59:37 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

philo wrote:
On 01/26/2014 11:20 AM, Bob F wrote:
philo wrote:
On 01/26/2014 10:43 AM, Bob F wrote:
By hillbilly, he means "Comcast". That's the Comcast way of running
cable.

Actually, that's the way AT&T did mine...ran the wire outside the
house, then back in again.

He did not want to use my method of running the wire through the
cold air return.

Actually, that's probably not legal, at least without special cable.
The right way is to use wall and joist spaces for the cable. Comcast
even resists letting the homeowner do it right. I had to argue with
them even to run wires into holes I had already drilled and left
wire pulling string in.

I am sure it would be illegal with power wires. I don't know about
data.
FWIW: This is an ancient house and the cold air return is not using a
sheet metal duct...it's merely making use of the air passage between
the two by fours. (House so old, they really are 2" x 4" )

Once in the basement a sheet metal duct then goes to the furnace
in the usual way.

My understanding is that at the very least, the wire should be "plenum" rated. I
believe your wire in ducts would need to be unable to carry fire or produce
poisonous gasses in a fire situation. Not to suggest that the wood would not do
the same.

It may be just what my company bought, but I was told all ty-raps and
cable is plenum rated.

I am sure if that is wrong, I will be finding out about it.

Cat f networking cable is available both ways, so is co-ax. Plenum
rated is generally 50% more expensive at minimum.