Posted to alt.home.repair
james james is offline

Default End Of Run Switch To New Outlet

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 09:10:44 -0600, Rick wrote
(in article ) :

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
James wrote:
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 20:34:25 -0600, Metspitzer wrote
(in article ):

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 18:52:17 -0600, James wrote:

How do I do this? I have done some wiring work (safely). My thought
was
disconnect the hot wire from the switch and run it to the outlet with
the
new wire (black conductor of course), then run the white wire from the
outlet
recoded as black to the switch. Will ground everything properly. The
switch
only controls a small outside light. Is this the right way to do it ?

TIA,
James

I may have read what you have written wrong. How many wires do you
have in the switch box you are describing?

If you only have two wires and a ground it won't work. If you have a
white wire in the box with a wirenut on it, you can do what you are
asking.

You are right. Aftger some digging I realized I need to rewire the
switch
loop and light with 3-conductor wire to get a neutral wire in the setup.
Thanks!

You still haven't explained how the switch and receptacle will interact.
Will the switch control both the receptacle and the light or will the
receptacle always be hot?

There's another item to consider: Right now you have 2 conducting wires, a
ground and switch in the box. It sounds like you are planning to add 3
more
conductors and a ground to the box. The switch box might not be big enough
to meet code with all of those wires.

Since the switch was added later the wiring was probably fished. He could
use the 2 conductor to pull the 3 conductor, install a switch/outlet combo,
and wire it either way....

That's exactly what I did.