Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Active device nonsense

On 01/26/2014 01:10 PM, Jerry Peters wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

"Jerry Peters"

An active device uses one signal [current, voltage] to control another.

So a relay is an active device?

** Trying to define a word or term *out of context* is doomed to failure.

It's called reductio ad absurdum, it's a rhetorical technique Phil.

No reason to curse. I will concede because I'm tired of arguing. Y'all
are being too abstruse for me to keep up. One final offering from the
old Rane Pro Audio Reference.
active component Electronics. A component requiring power to operate,
e.g. a transistor. Contrast with passive.

passive component Electronics. A component that does not require power
to operate, e.g., a resistor. Contrast with active.

nothing is resolved, other than I am stupid and you know all.