Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default spray-can cap conundrum

On 1/26/2014 1:35 PM, Tdacon wrote:
Any of you old-timers in the same fix I'm in? I was trying to wrench the
glass-slick cap off a spray can of Minwax urethane finish last night,
and these old hands have lost so much grip strength since I was young
that I couldn't get the dang thing off no matter how I tried. I was
eventually reduced to jamming a long screwdriver right through the cap
and levering the wreckage off of the can. When I was done I looked down
at the mess I'd made of it and just shook my head.

Your basic old Krylon cap is a bit easier, but not much. Often I end up
slipping a flat-bladed screwdriver tip under one edge and levering it
off, trying not to break it in the process.

Anybody have any good ideas for me?

Thanks,
Tom

Did you try the old belt routine. Placing the belt around the cap and
then wrapping around your hand such that as you turn the the cap the
belt tightens on the cap.