Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default End Of Run Switch To New Outlet

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 05:00:19 -0600, philo* wrote:

On 01/25/2014 09:08 PM, SteveF wrote:

Inside the switch box there would be no "cold" (return) wire which is
necessary.

Hold on there, Phil. We need to know what is in his existing box, and
the location of the new outlet.

James, you first have to determine if you have a "neutral" in the switch
box. If the answer is no, then you will have to find another means of
installing an outlet. A white wire does not necessarily mean that the
wire is a neutral. However, your method of pig tailing the hot to the
switch is correct. Pig tailing the "white/neutral" to the switch is
not.

Please get back to us with what you actually have present in the switch
box.

You are right...there could be a 'cold' wire in the box...
I jumped to a conclusion because /usually/ there is not.

I think the OP should call an electrician as this is /very/ basic
and if he does not understand it...should not be dealing with it.

I think so too.