Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

On 1/25/2014 2:04 PM, wrote:

Not code compliant today, but many homes exist with that configuration.

Not sure why it would not be code compliant. AFAIK, there isn't
anything that says you can't have more than one panel, add a sub-panel,
etc. It would be strange to do it if there is no logical reason,
and the inspector might look at you like you were nuts,
but that doesn't make it a code violation.

Service input is underground.
Comes up into the garage wall with the meter on the outside.
Bare cable goes up into the attic and down to the breaker box
on the other end of the garage.

It's an arc-fault waiting to happen.
Drive a nail thru the cable and the first current limit
is the breaker in the distribution system somewhere down the street.
Near as I can tell from discussion with the building inspector is
that it's strictly against today's code.

I looked at installing a transfer switch.
Looks like I'd have to replace the meter box and put all the
switching and input breakers in that. Not impossible, but more
hassle and expense than I'd like.