Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus8074 Ignoramus8074 is offline

Default Look what the Russians built for the Olympics

On 2014-01-26, Jon Elson wrote:

The GOES satellite laying on the floor was another. That one you
can search with Google "Goes satellite on floor". They have 2
turn and tilt facilities at the Lockheed plant, but only
one set of bolts to attach the satellite to the turn/tilt. Bean
counters were too cheap to buy two sets of bolts. So, somebody
moved the bolts to the other satellite to work on it, then put the
bolts back in the other one, but didn't tighten them! Result was
BOUND to happen. $135 million goof!

Amazing story, I never heard about it. I personally blame the operator
and not bean counters. They did not tighten the bolts. The bolts were
there and installed. Just not properly installed.