Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Motion switch - incandescent vs. CFL

IGot2P wrote:
I just installed a motion detection switch in one room which is
lighted by 4 CFL's in a fan. The CFL,s come on fine but when the
motion switch shuts them off they just flicker. Of course if I put 4
incandescent bulbs in the unit all is fine. For the heck of it I put
in 3 CFL's and 1 incandescent bulb and to my surprise they ALL work!

Is there any reason that I can't leave it as above (3 CFL's & 1
incandescent)? In this manner I can save some electricity and still
have my motion switch work.

If necessary can I purchase CFL's that will work with my motion switch
or can I purchase a different motion switch that will work with my
current CFL's?

Comments would be appreciated.

The incandescent bulb draws the small amound of current that is making the CFLs
flicker to itself, keeping the voltage low so they don't flicker. If you want to
keep the power usage low, a very low wattage incandescent bulb will probably
work as well.