Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

On 1/25/2014 7:19 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/25/2014 7:42 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:
On Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:49:15 AM UTC-5,
Yes, it can and has been done (by me) in an emergency. Whether you
feed the 240V back thru the dryer cord outlet or directly tap in at
the breaker box, either way you must open the main circuit breaker to
disconnect your house from the mains to avoid electrocuting a worker,
or heavily overloading your generator trying to feed your entire
neighborhood.

When finished my wiring will have a breaker in the panel for just
this
purpose . Out here in the woods we can be left without power for days
if we
get another bad ice storm . Also part of the reason we heat with wood ...

I've seen some thing called an Interlockkit. Put two breakers across
from each other (one from grid, one from generator). the slider bar
helps remember to shut off the mains when turning on the generator.

http://www.interlockkit.com/

This stuff works IF your breaker box allows it.
My house was built in 1970. Has several main breakers that get
fed to secondary breakers that feed the house outlets.
No way to get juice from the dryer outlet to the rest of the house
without backfeeding the grid.
Not code compliant today, but many homes exist with that configuration.

Make darn sure you don't lose the common. Can make a lot of smoke on
your 120V devices.