Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Power Cord Warning

On 1/25/2014 2:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Many years ago, before cordless tools were readily available, I helped a
friend build a cabin - actually a house with a loft sleeping area, covered
porch, etc. Over the course of the summer, friends and family from all over
the country came to the land to help, some for a few days, some, like my
family, for a few weeks. We camped on the land in tents or campers. The
women tended to the kids during the day while the men trudged up the hill
to the building site. Evenings were spent around the bonfire singing songs
accompanied by banjos, guitars, harmonicas, etc. 30 years later and it
still ranks as the best vacation I ever took.

Anyway, we used a couple of generators to run the power tools. Apparently,
the week before I got there, one of the guys had put a circular saw down on
the cord and cut it. After that it became kind a "battle cry" for guys to
yell out "Don't cut the cord" whenever a circular saw was shut down. Guys
on the deck, guys hanging from the rafters, guys installing windows would
start a round robin chorus of "Don't cut the cord!", "Don't cut the cord!",
"Don't cut the cord!"

Well, the last day that I was there what did I do? I put the circular saw
down on the cord, wrapped it around the spindle and cut it. As the rest of
the guys heard the strange sound from the circular saw (and the generator)
they began a chorus, in the exact same cadence as before, except this time
they were saying. "He cut the cord!", "He cut the cord!", "He cut the
cord!" As embarrassing as it was, the laughter on the job site after the
perfectly timed chorus made up for it.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person to have made mix
ups on the job. Can't say as I've ever cut a cord. But,
I've drilled holes in houses in the wrong places. Hint:
When you want a hole on "this" side of "this" window,
take a piece of tape (I love my yellow vinyl tape) and
put it on "this" side of "this" window on the inside.
When you get out doors, you can see the yellow tape
you put on the other side of the glass. Really reduces
chance of embarssment.

I'm remembering years ago, a young family having roof
work done. The toddler daughter was addicted to this one
video, which repeated all day. They noticed the video was
a bit much when the roofers joined into the chorus of
"bibbity bobbity boo".

--
..
Christopher A. Young