Preston Andreas

Default Drill press mortising Jig

My first mortise was with a handheld drill and a bench chisel to clean up
the hole. It worked fine. I now have a Powermatic dedicated mortiser. It
works great for most mortises. I passed up using the drill press. In fact,
I gave away the mortising attachment before I used it. Not enough leverage,
too much slop, the drill press can only be used for mortising while the
equipment is attached, and setup takes too long.

Recently, I made some stools. I looked to the book, "Chaimaking and
Design", by Jeff Miller for ideas on making compound angled mortise and
tenons. I copied the router jigs he used for chair joinery . I was
astonished and pleased with the ease and accuracy in making straight and
compound angled mortise and tenons using a router and a couple of easy to
build jigs. There are still good uses for my Powermatic mortiser, but I
will now use the router whenever I can.

Preston

wrote in message
I'm considering buying a DP mortising jig.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary
Does anyone have experience using one. The price at Canadian Tire is
$50 reg $80. I own a good Dewalt 621 plunge router and a freud table
top and fence. Would I be better of using my router with a good
mortising bit.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards Mark