John

Default "Air exchange" units

"Clive Long,UK" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of extraction fans that use the heat
from the outgoing air to warm the in-coming air? I read about this
approach to reduce the possibility of condensation in houses where
they were insulated and glazed tight as a drum but the lack of air
circulation with the outside was causing damp / condensation problems.

I have found a sutiable unit a CES in Whetstone London, and I only
have a one bedroom flat - but I just want to know if anyone has use
done successfully in any domestic situation?

yes fitted one a few years ago in a domestic bedroom, seems to have done the
trick with the condensation and mould on the walls.

Drilling a 6in hole through the double brick wall was tiring tho (even with
a diamond core bit)

My thinking behind fitting such a device, rather than a
conventional extractor is that any incming air would probably be
colder than the expelled air and the classic argument is the
condensation occurs at lower levels of "water saturation" when the
temperature of the air drops. Hence I want the in-coming replacement
air to be heated , if possible

Prob works as well as an extractor - but if warm are is sucked out it has to
be replaced somehow (i.e with cold air from outside) this would increase
heating costs. The heat exchange system goes some way to reduce these heat
losses. Your point is theorecticall valid tho.