Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

On 1/24/2014 11:19 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:49:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Let me start by saying I know this is very dangerous and I don't plan on doing it (I have a new generator and new uninstalled transfer switch) so save your flames. I plan on installing my transfer switch when I get some time in the next month or two.I read a post suggesting that in a power outage, you could flip your main breaker off to prevent anything going to the lines and killing a line worker, and use a suicide cord from your generator to you clothes dryer outlet (240 vac) and then your main panel would serve as your switch for what circuits are using the generator--and that this would power both 240 and 120 outlets.As dangerous as this is, is this even possible?

Yes, it can and has been done (by me) in an emergency. Whether you feed the 240V back thru the dryer cord outlet or directly tap in at the breaker box, either way you must open the main circuit breaker to disconnect your house from the mains to avoid electrocuting a worker, or heavily overloading your generator trying to feed your entire neighborhood.

Wow, post from 2005. What storm was active, back then?

--
..
Christopher A. Young