Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Backfeed generator through dryer outlet?

wrote:
On Thursday, October 27, 2005 11:49:15 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
Let me start by saying I know this is very dangerous and I don't
plan on doing it (I have a new generator and new uninstalled
transfer switch) so save your flames. I plan on installing my
transfer switch when I get some time in the next month or two.I read
a post suggesting that in a power outage, you could flip your main
breaker off to prevent anything going to the lines and killing a
line worker, and use a suicide cord from your generator to you
clothes dryer outlet (240 vac) and then your main panel would serve
as your switch for what circuits are using the generator--and that
this would power both 240 and 120 outlets.As dangerous as this is,
is this even possible?

Yes, it can and has been done (by me) in an emergency. Whether you
feed the 240V back thru the dryer cord outlet or directly tap in at
the breaker box, either way you must open the main circuit breaker to
disconnect your house from the mains to avoid electrocuting a worker,
or heavily overloading your generator trying to feed your entire
neighborhood.

When finished my wiring will have a breaker in the panel for just this
purpose . Out here in the woods we can be left without power for days if we
get another bad ice storm . Also part of the reason we heat with wood ...
--
Snag