Posted to sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
DaveC[_3_] DaveC[_3_] is offline

Default Fuses in place of motor "heaters"? (induction motor protection)

Looking to provide switching for 1-phase, 220 AC, 1/2 hp motor that doesn't
include use of a contactor. I appreciate the need for precise current limit
(LRA) that a branch breaker can't provide.

So, I choose to not have a contactor but instead, this, which provides the
power-fail protection:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D4160-110-Volt-Paddle-
Switch/dp/B005W17HYY/ref=pd_sim_hi_1/191-4569239-2528519

This has a relay (rated 1/2 hp) that drops out on power fail, and has
external connections for additional e-stop mushroom switch. But no provision
for motor protection.

Would 2 precisely-matched (ie, to the 1/4 amp), slow-blow HRC fuses be
sufficient to protect this motor?

Thanks.