Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solder of Braze "copper" convector? -- it's fixed

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:07:24 -0500, Stormin Mormon

I'm wondering if the radiator was manufactured with soft solder? I've
done a lot of soft solder work like plumbing lines but most of what I
did in the last decade was silver solder brazing on refrigeration
equipment. I even have some special solder that allows me to braze steel
to copper or aluminum or what ever the mix. Brazing is a lot stronger
than soft solder but if not done correctly, it can be brittle. One good
thing about a radiator shop is the fact that the shop will have a water
tank handy all the time for pressure testing to watch for air bubbles
when the repairman pressurizes the item and submerges it in the tank. I
must borrow a big garbage can and fill it with water. ^_^

TDD

With auto body repair, some shops use a fiberglass
mesh, with Bondo or other sealant. I've wondered if
a copper mesh can be put over leaks, fluxxed, and then
solder applied. Seems like the copper mesh would
provide some substance to the repair.

i HAVE done repairs where I wound thin bare copper wire around the
joint/repair and then soldered the wound wire onto the object being
repaired,