Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Favorite Cutters For Snipping DIP Leads?

Doug White wrote in
:

I have occasional need to cut the leads on a standard DIP to remove it
from a PCB. If the chip is dead or not worth saving, and the circuit
board is delicate, I'd rather cut the leads & pull them one at a time
rather than risk damaging the board trying to yank it all at once.

The catch is that my pointiest cutters are a bit broad, and won't

really
fit down between the leads far enough to get a good cut. The ones I
have are Utica 582E angle tip cutters, similar to these:

http://www.stanleysupplyservices.com...-cutters/g/329

Given the cost of a really good pair of cutters, and the generally

poor
quality of the pictures/descriptions supplied by most tool vendors,

I'd
rather not blow big bucks on them sight unseen.

Does anyone have a particular make & model they can recommend?

Thanks for all the input. I looked into some of the options, but the
nicest cutters were either outrageously expensive, or out of stock. I
finally ended up getting a pair of Erem 2470E "Diagonal Tapered Full
Flush Tip" cutters, and they work perfectly!

http://www.all-spec.com/products/2470E.html?
gclid=CPukrcPJl7wCFZBj7AodUBcA-Q

Although they are nominally rated for only #24 wire, they seem to do
just fine with the soft leads on the dips I've had to remove. No sign
of any wear or strain on the jaws so far.

Doug White