Henry E Schaffer

Default best method to mitre cut board

In article ,
Marton Czebe wrote:
hi group,

as my very first serious WW project, I'm planning to build a bed. I'd
be keen on using the knowledge and experience of the group to avoid
serious (and costly) mistakes.

The first problem where I'm stuck:
How to cut 45 degree mitres on the ends of a 90 x 7.8 x 1.5 inch
board, along the height of 7.8 inches with a 1.5 inch thickness?

Is this board one of four for the frame? If so, you need to be
concerned about strength of the corner joints. How will you fasten
them?

Note that I'm almost a complete beginner, but still, I don't want to
go with mortise and tenon joint.

But that would be strong joint. A butt joint with glue and screws
would be strong, and look as good as a mitered joint from the sides.
Also, you could reinforce the corners with a 2x2 which is both easy and
provides a very strong joint.

Would your design allow that?

--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu