Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Any PC Hardware Gurus In Here ?

On 1/23/2014 10:11 PM, wrote:
Got this PC, no boot, no nothing. Light comes on and the fans run, that's it.

Originally it did that and I went through the rigamaroll and got to the point I thought it was bad RAM. It originally had 4GB and once I removed it all and the battery, then it beeped and started running when I put 2GB back in, it ran some, but failed a few times so I took out that 2GB and put the other 2GB in, and then it booted reliably all the time.

It sat for a while after I reloaded and registered Windows, got all the cute stuff in there, Firefox, the Flasplayer(s), AVG and all that. I decided to off it and thought I had a buyer, unplugged it and packed it up. Well nothing happened so I hooked it back up and I got no boot anymore.

Right now I am just wondering if there is anythong I should check before parting it out. I'll get my money back doing that but a working machine is still better. Also, I guess I can assume the RAM I took out is good ? I figure I'll sell it because it sdoesn't fit anything I have.

This is a Dell Inspiron 560 with an E5700 3.0Ghz processor. I figure the processor is good because it still beeps if all the RAM is taken out. I would almost thing maybe a graphic problem but there is no HD activity except for it's quick little noise when first powered on.

This supposedly all great 6 bit Dell has an elcheapo ECS motherboard in it. They want too much for a replacement and the OS is OEM, and I simply am not paying $65 for that motherboard ! Twenty or thirty I would pay to avoid the hassle, but not $65.

It was dead when it came to me so I don't have alot in it. The processor and RAM csn bring back some of the money and the HD and DVD burner can be used in my other PC. But a working machine is still better...

Any ideas before this thing gets boned ?

YOu seem to have made a lot of wild assumptions based on little relevant
info.
I see nothing to confirm that ANY of it is good.
What's the cmos battery voltage?
How much noise/ripple on every one of the power supplies?
12/5/3.3/1.something