RonB

Default Drill press mortising Jig

I bought a Delta kit a few years ago and discovered it didn't fit my 25 year
old Craftsman drill press. Subsequently , a nephew bought the Delta kit for
his Delta. It will get the job done but it is a compromise in almost every
respect. It takes time to install, adjust and remove it. You have your
drill press tied up while the kit is installed. In use, you are literally
forcing the mortise bit into the wood while the center bit is clearing the
way - the plunge handles on most drill presses are too short for needed
leverage. When you consider the cost of some lower end mortisers it makes
more sense to buy the dedicated machine if you plan much use.

A confession: A few days after I returned my Delta Kit my wife mentioned
that Harbor Freight had a mortiser on sale for $99. My initial response was
"don't need THAT one!" A week or so later we drove by the store, I went in
and looked at one and decided "oh-well. Only $100. I'll give it a try."
The machine came with three bits that looked much like the delta, has a
fairly long plunge handle, has decent power and it makes square holes.
Granted the hold down hardware sucks but that can be improved. I have used
the machine quite a bit and it continues to make square holes. I doubt if
it will be my life-long mortiser but the complete machine cost about $30
more than the compromise kit.

Ron

wrote in message
I'm considering buying a DP mortising jig.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...rtment=primary
Does anyone have experience using one. The price at Canadian Tire is
$50 reg $80. I own a good Dewalt 621 plunge router and a freud table
top and fence. Would I be better of using my router with a good
mortising bit.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards Mark