Posted to alt.home.repair
NotMe NotMe is offline

Default Solder of Braze "copper" convector? -- it's fixed

On 1/6/2014 10:47 AM, TomR wrote:
NotMe wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message
TomR wrote:
TomR wrote:
EXT wrote:
"TomR" wrote in message
I have an old-style, convector-type, wall mounted room heater
that has a small leak. It is similar to baseboard heat, but the
heat is provided by the hot water that goes through the
convector element. Here are some photos:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2a7izh0.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/v79r9y.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/28c3pk7.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/oa6wbc.jpg The convector element has a
very tiny leak near one end that I can't quite locate with the
convector connected up and working; and, even with it
disconnected I can't quite locate the pinhole or whatever that
is causing the tiny leak.

If you can remove the item, a radiator repair shop may be able to
help. Just smearing flux on the old metal will not help the solder
to stick, you need to clean the metal first and that is exactly
what a radiator shop would before they try to repair it.

. . . ,
I found and went to a radiator repair shop. The guy said that they
can fix it. They will use a "glass bead machine" to clean the
entire area, then use special liquid (not paste) flux, then do the
solder/fix, and then pressure test it to make sure it is fixed. He
said that they will do both ends even though just one end has the
leak right now. And, the price will be "no more than $89" to do
both ends.
It should be ready in a couple of days and I'll post back how it all
turns out.

Here's the final outcome: -- it's fixed. The radiator repair shop
only ended up soldering the one end that was leaking, and the cost
was $79. I connected the convector back up and it's working fine
with no leaks. Here's a photo of the solder job that they did on the
end
that was
leaking (not pretty, but it worked):
http://i44.tinypic.com/308e4ax.jpg .

And, here's a photo of the other end that wasn't leaking to show how
the ends looked before the solder job:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2vkygas.jpg .

Thanks again to everyone. Posting the question here got the problem
solved for me.

**** poor job. Repeat failure is not a matter of if, but of when.

I am not going to be losing any sleep over the fact that the solder job
doesn't look pretty. They fixed it and it works, and no one will ever
see
the solder job -- and the whole fix only cost 79 bucks.

I don't see how making the solder job look more pretty would result in it
lasting any longer. When looking at it in person, it is clear that it is
not a cold solder joint -- the solder did adhere completely to the metal,
and it looks like they built up extra solder to help support the joint to
help prevent it from cracking during installation etc.

Do you do this type of work for a living? I am not trying to be snide; I
am
just curious about what your background and/or experience is that led you
conclude that this was a "**** poor job. Repeat failure is not a matter
of
if, but of when."

Way back when I worked for NASA/FAA. From the photo alone the work would
not pass even basic visual QC muster.

Age old question why is there never time/interest in doing the job right but
always time to do it over.

Pretty is not the goal but pretty is usually (but not always) an indication
of properly.

Quick review some areas have too much heat = oxidation = weak joint, others
have too little = a cold junction both = subject to failure.

The base appears to be insuffently heated and poorly applied flux, Second
the junction metal over heated but not allowed to flow. I could tell more
if I have the finished work in hand.

If this is not a mission critical fix and.or is not in a place where failure
will cause damage you can get by. Just keep in mind you'll be doing the job
again.