Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default "Hello sir ! I was just in the area ...

On 23/01/2014 19:30, harryagain wrote:
Define "practical distance".

99% of journeys are ten miles or less....

However, that includes all forms of transport, including walking to the
shops. An EU survey showed that during the week, UK residents drove, on
average, 15km per trip for personal reasons and 20km for business
(including commuting). On Saturday those reversed, while on Sunday
personal trip lengths increased to 30km and business trips to 25km,
although the number of business trips on a Sunday was very small. 60% of
drivers did two trips per day, with around 10% doing each of 1, 3 or 4.
The overall average was about 2.5 trips per day.

IMO a practical distance would need to be at least the 85th percentile
distance but, unfortunately, that cannot be determined from the survey
results. However, I suspect it is likely to be quite a lot more than the
average.

Colin Bignell