Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical contact grease?

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:13:55 PM UTC-5, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article om,

bud-- wrote:

On 1/20/2014 9:08 AM, wrote:

I have a car fog light where the problem is the electrical connector

between the housing and the cable. It doesn't appear badly

corroded or anything. But when it's assembled, wiggling the connector

makes it go on and off.

The way it's designed I can't really get at

it to clean it with emery cloth or anything. I have some electrical

contact cleaner I'm going to try. But aside from that and also

with a view to the future, what do you guys use for that kind of

application? Some kind of grease like product that would prevent

corrosion but conduct electricity would seem to be what I need.

Any products to recommend?

Is the wire-to-contact a good connection? Probably is.

Possibilities for cleaning the contact include real small file (needle

file) or sharp surface (nail ground to be a chisel?).

Is there enough spring tension to keep the contacts together - bend a

contact?

If you get a good contact a little dielectric grease can keep water and

other deteriorating agents out.

The only goo that I know of that is supposed to conduct is Stabilant 22.

Spendy, and I don't know if it is still around.

Stabilant was developed by my college buddy from the 1950s, William M.D.

"Mike" Wright.

It's still being produced and sold:

http://www.stabilant.com/bccomp.htm

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Thanks, Brass Rat 78 here

--

Trader4-

I agree with Bud. Grease may prevent future problems, but it won't fix

a bad connection.

You need to determine exactly where the bad connection is. It could be

a quick-disconnect that is sprung, or it could be a defective crimp

where the terminal attaches to a wire.

Fred